Jules Weissman

LASERWOLF: Glowforge Projects Blog

Mosaic Project Part Two

 Virgil on hardie board.

Virgil on hardie board.

Continued from last week...

I decided to use this mosaic piece as part of my application to Ojai Studio Artists (OSA), which is risky business as I had no idea if it would work, but the board members who came for a studio visit concurred that I should bring work that represents where I'm going.

(I didn't mention that I have no idea where I am going right now!)

They asked that I find a way to mount the mosaic with the laser-cut clay stamp and the original illustration, to show the process. I thought this was a great idea, and I came up with a plan to present it as a triptych.

I decided to make a back piece with my website engraved in it and a top frame to hold in the mortar. I wanted all three pieces to look the same, so I cut frames for those as well.

I cut the quarter-inch ACX plywood at 135 speed / full power / three passes and engraved at full speed / full power. There was a good deal of charring, so a greta deal of sanding was in order.

I measured out the total thickness of the layers and ordered three-quarter inch Chicago screws to fasten the pieces together. While assembling the other pieces of the triptych and adding hardware for framing, I accidentally broke through the back piece with nails, so I had to adjust the design. 

 

 Straight out of the Glowforge.

Straight out of the Glowforge.

 After sanding with medium and extra fine grit sandpaper.

After sanding with medium and extra fine grit sandpaper.

I collaged my illustrated eye with the anatomical drawing and had it printed at the Ojai Business Center. I cut a piece of Proofgrade Medium Clear Acrylic to use as the glass. I assembled the clay stamps using the eye to cover up the nails using some double stick mounting squares so I can use the clay stamps in the future. It was looking good!

 The first two pieces of the triptych assembled.

The first two pieces of the triptych assembled.

 Glued, grouted, and cleaned.

Glued, grouted, and cleaned.

I used tile glue to attach the ceramic pieces to the hardie board and taped off the front and back. I used a dark grey, sanded grout mixed with an additive recommended by one of the OSA artists. I mixed the grout and let it sit for ten minutes, then poured it on, waited another forty-five minutes, and wiped off the excess grout from the clay. I liked the way it was filling in the veins and the features of Virgil's face, so I didn't sponge too much. It cured well without cracking. The triptych is done!

 Ready for the OSA artists' votes! Wish me luck.

Ready for the OSA artists' votes! Wish me luck.

Donate
Julia WeissmanGlowforge, Laser